Cultivating Web Content Can Have Huge Benifits

Web content promotion is the industry buzzword du jour. Every brand, big and little, is aspiring to determine its content marketing strategy as a pathway to developing better relationships with customers. That’s hardly a shock, because when it’s done right, content marketing performs.

Per se, content marketing is naturally centered on your customers because it offers information and facts that add value to their lives. The value is in the eyes of the beholder and should follow what the brand offers and represents. Value can take the form of amusement, enhanced user experience or increased product rewards, to name just a couple. Typically, there are multiple ways of adding value that come from good web content marketing.

Excellent content marketing doesn’t necessarily come easy, however. I’m often asked how to get there. While there is no simple procedure for prosperity, there are a few rules that I live by, both personally and professionally:

Be the business.

While the content you create should cater to your customer needs and wants, it should also be unique to your brand. It should originate the soul of your brand and what it is about. You really should not create web content that is completely foreign to your brand, even if it is fulfilling a purpose for your customers. The main thing, your content should make sense coming from your brand and precisely, your brand alone.

Don’t discuss yourself all the time.

You’ve been there– you go to a social event, and you get stuck with somebody who only discusses himself or herself. You can’t wait to get out of there. The same goes for brands on social media. Don’t talk about yourself all the time. You’ll quickly turn uninteresting, and you’ll turn clients off. I follow the 90/10 policy. Talk about other topics 90 percent of the time. Talk about your brand the other 10 percent.

Variety is the spice of life.

Always keep your web content fresh on a regular basis by serving up a variety of topics and rotating them into a fluid mix. Make a content calendar, and arrange the topics you plan to cover, ensuring that you’re not repetitive and not staying with just a couple of areas. Decide how frequently you want to post new content– be it daily, once a week or once a month– depending on what works for your company and how often you can create compelling, one-of-a-kind content. Whenever you map it all out on a piece of paper, you’ll be amazed how easy it is to mix it all up and stick with your plan.

Change the channel.

It’s important to recognize all the numerous social channels and how to use them. Users go to those channels for specific purposes, so serve up different web content in other ways on each of the channels– whatever makes sense for your brand and your consumers. If you have highly aesthetic content, then perhaps Instagram is a perfect place to influence your target market.

An extremely B2B-oriented business might consider thought leadership pieces on Twitter or LinkedIn. Facebook is much more social and could be a good outlet for more pop culture type of topics. As you plan your web content calendar, you should also weave in the social channels you plan to use each time, again keeping the mix brand-new and relevant.

Content marketing is a lot of work. It takes a thorough definition of your brand, a keen understanding of your customers and a broad knowledge of the social channels, all pulled together via a detailed content calendar. When performed right, content marketing can really help you build strong customer associations and strengthen brand loyalty. It can become the basis for your communications plan to grow your business.

As you can see, content marketing is more than just a buzzword. It’s an action strategy for your brand’s connection to your customers.